Friday 1 March 2013

Gluten and dairy free shortbread...

Success! It's been a while since I added a new recipe to my box of foolproof allergy friendly recipes. I did not have high hopes for this one, given that gluten free flour often tastes quite gritty no matter what you put with it.

This is an adaptation of a simple shortbread recipe:

175g gluten free plain flour (I used Doves)
100g dairy free butter
50g caster sugar
Half a teaspoon of gluten free baking powder
Optional: a dash of vanilla essence

Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl (add the vanilla essence if required). Mix the baking powder with the flour then add slowly to the butter/sugar to form a dough.

Mine took about twenty minutes to turn golden brown in a fan oven on 170 degrees, but this will vary according to oven and thickness of shortbread.

Cut into pieces whilst warm then leave to cool.

I sprayed my clay mould with light olive oil and it turned out of the mould a lot easier than I was expecting! I broke a few biscuits which obviously then had to be eaten straightaway.

Note: the recipe only makes a fist sized lump of dough. If you have a decent size mould or tin it would probably be best to double the quantities.

Next time I make it I plan to add zest of orange or lemon and cut down the sugar a little. I try to eat as little sugar as possible and as a result these seemed quite sweet to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment