Saturday 19 July 2014

Homeward bound...







It's with a heavy heart that I leave the county I grew up in. In fact it's been a heavy week in some ways. I've never felt a connection to where I live now, no matter how I try and convince myself otherwise. Though I do return to it with a renewed desire to try and make the best of it, and if that means trying to enjoy gardening then so be it. Having enjoyed a beautiful garden this past week I realise ours is sadly lacking in all things flowery. I must admit Harvey was never brought up to respect plants because we've simply been taming the jungle throughout the four years he's been with us. He knows just how to join in with the pruning! Unlike Archie (last pic) who prefers shoes!

It's been hard to know that now my children are old enough to fend for themselves for a few days I can pop down to Sussex and spend some time there. This is something I wished I could do a few years ago when my Nan was still alive. I've always thought graves were a comforting thing to have, but three years on it is still extremely difficult to visit hers.

On a happier note though, it's been great to spend some time with my Grandad. We had a party in the garden for his 90th birthday with about 30 or so friends and relatives. Since then I've been fascinated to hear all sorts of stories about his childhood that I hadn't heard before. My children have absolutely no idea what life used to be like!

I really do love the coast and took every opportunity to dip my toes in the sea. I looked in rock pools when the tide was going out. I walked up and down the whole length of promenade, several times. Oh, and fourth photo down... I sat behind this dark haired, six packed, guitar player until he started turning round and singing directly to me. Awkward moment! He definitely picked the wrong person to sing to, I couldn't hear a thing! I did smile nicely though and went and found another spot in the beach!





1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel Juanita. We lived near the coast in West Wales until I was 7 years old when we moved to South Wales away from the sea. I've lived here for 44 years and still miss the sea. Maybe someday you'll move back to the coast.

    ReplyDelete