Tuesday 1 July 2014

Crochet for Italy...





I had a spare couple of hours before a cricket match and instead of making up a flask and throwing some crisps in a basket I ploughed on with my little Italian backpack. I finished the flap with minutes to spare, and at half time (after the first innings in cricket speak) I was pondering strap construction.

In the second pic you can just make out eyelet holes for the drawstring part, a simple crochet cord won't take long for that. It's just the back straps I'm not sure about.

I made a long strap and I've tried it in a few ways but I'm not happy yet and will probably try another method of construction. The strap keeps curling so I need to try another type of stitch. At this stage some kind of manufactured strap is looking attractive!

The main body is just triple crochets but through the spaces rather than the top of the stitches below. The result is a really tough bag but not stiff or heavy. I would have used chunky if I'd had the right colours but instead I used two stands of each colour crocheted together. I will still line it just to be on the safe side. So, a little more work to do and maybe a big button or toggle to find for the flap.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, I am new to your blog, but a fan of crochet and a crocheter so I look forward to reading more. I love your backpack, great idea to do it in the colours of Italy for your trip! I hope that you can work out the straps. xx

    ReplyDelete