Tuesday 8 April 2014

A quilted mat...


Phew. Finished! Very glad I stuck with it too. I learnt a lot. The trickiest part was as I feared; the edging. It required creating a long strip with folded down sides and it was a bit of a nightmare. It wasn't difficult doing the hem stitch on the back but the corners are a bit dodgy. The next time I do something like this I think I'll try a different method of edging or a pre creased bias binding.

I learnt that pre printed triangles are a faff. I think I will stick to squares next time. I learnt that sewing through two layers of cotton and some wadding wasn't as difficult as it sounded. I learnt that hand sewing isn't too tough on my hands and I can't work out why knitting causes pain after a few rows. I learnt that I have more patience now that the children are older. I'm no longer afraid to start something while they are in the house in case I'm needed to entertain them. It's a milestone.


I'm feeling quite enthusiastic about using up some of my fabric supplies now. I know it will feel so much better having the fabric turned into useful things rather than folded up in a cupboard for a rainy day.

4 comments:

  1. Well done - a real achievement, I wouldn't know where to start !
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It came out great, you did a nice job with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colours you've used.

    ReplyDelete