Thursday 29 August 2013

Diamonds...


I've been doing rather more browsing crochet than actually doing any just lately. This diamond shaped motif caught my eye when I first flicked through a book of throws and afghans (an American book) most probably because I really like tweedy yarn.


I thought I'd work up a motif to see how quick and easy they were. First attempts were a disaster and I ended up leaving it for a few months. I had another stab at it yesterday and it was quite simple. I decided to make five more motifs after the first one just to make a star shape. Each one is slightly different from the one before, and by the time I got to number six I had simplified the pattern but got the same shape.


Here is the final star unblocked and not edged. I worked this up in cotton with a mat in mind. I'm really not a doily/mat kind of person, I just wanted to conquer the pattern! It's a good versatile shape but I don't think I will be making the throw after all. Join as you go was a bit fiddly. On one of the joins I carried on right round the pointy bit of the star because I was daydreaming, as you do. That's why I love crochet, it's a doddle to unravel the mistakes!


Here it is still unblocked but with a white edge. I think I'll finish with another jade round before I call it finished. Then I'm done with diamonds!

The book is called 'Undercover, 60 Afghans to Knit and Crochet' by Sixth&Spring Books, New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment