Sunday 27 January 2013

Abandoned...

It is not very often that I abandon a book. I do sometimes start one and then put it aside if it seems to be something I am not quite in the mood for, but that doesn't happen very often. Ugh is how I feel about my latest book. I lost count of how many characters were introduced in the first chapter or two and they kept coming. I couldn't visualise them very well and couldn't place them either because they all seemed to be congregating in one large house.

In sign language if you are talking about more than one person you 'place' them visually so that next time you refer to them you effectively point to that same place. Sign language doesn't come naturally to me but this was a revelation; how easy on the ears it is just to see who you are talking about. I'm not sure if that will make much sense to anyone actually.

Anyway, the author would have helped the memory game with characters if she had maybe described the room and placed the characters. I might have remembered who they all were and what they looked like better. It was impossible for my poor memory so I had to give up. I skipped to the end to solve the mystery of the book title and tossed it on the charity pile. Maybe someone with a sharper memory will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment